Tuesday 23 February 2016

Christchurch

It is about 2AM in the morning when we arrived Christchurch; we rested ourselves in the waiting area in the airport until 6 or 7 in the morning. Then I found a private shuttle bus, after minutes bargaining, we reached an agreement 40 or 45 NZ dollars for 3 people ( I cannot remember clearly. ), I was so happy then because AU dollars were at a very high level at that time.


This is the accommodation:    

ibis Christchurch
107 Hereford St, Christchurch, 8001 New Zealand
Tel: 64 (03) 3678666, Fax: 64 (03) 3678667

It is about 30 minutes’ driving from the airport and located in the middle of the Christchurch city, I decided to dwell there because firstly it is very cheap; secondly it is very close to the attractions in the city.   

Christchurch suffered a series of earthquakes in 2009 and 2011, and it was seriously destroyed in 2011 and was still under reconstruction. Due to lack of money, less progress had been achieved, so when I was there, I can see most of the debris after that disaster.


The great cathedral had been severely damaged and we just walked around outside, most of the traveling information I accumulated before I set off proved to be out of date or invalid. Many people escaped from this city and a large amount of  restaurants and hotels were empty. 








I went to the lucky rental to pick up my little campervan, but they said all were rented out, the one planned to rent to me was damaged on a car accidence, so I can only have a campervan on the next day. The good thing was they lent me a wagon car on that day for free.

I was planning to go straight to lake Tekapo in the morning, but now I was disordered. I changed quickly and went to the famous France town called ‘Akaroa’, I would not recommend this place personally after going there. It was ‘people mountain and People Sea’, crowded with tourists, and to get there, I have to cross a big mountain.  That was my impression of that place…

No comments:

Post a Comment